Monday, November 12, 2007

Wind Chill or Windshield- Updated!

Wow. I just learned tonight that it's "wind chill factor" not "windshield factor"

Has anyone else thought it was windshield?

Mike's been rolling over laughing for about 10 minutes now.

Who knew?

And by the way... I googled "Windshield Factor" and a ton of things came up. I'm not alone! :)

Just to prove to all of you that I'm not alone I found this on the internet under commonly mispronounced words...

windshield-factor n.
This particular misconception I've encountered only among females of my acquaintance - I don't know why.The very first time I heard this one, I managed to get her to say it three times - just to make sure I hadn't misheard (I wanted to give her a chance. Really I did.). Then I asked her why she supposed the phenomenon was called windshield-factor. The answer I was given (I'm paraphrasing) was something along the lines of "Well, you know when it gets so cold, and all the windshields get frost on them?" Okay, makes sense to me I guess. When I very gently and (and as matter-of-factly as I could) enunciated the actual expression, her eyes opened wide with surprised glee and you could see the lightbulbs suddenly turning on over her head. I think for her it was a moment of epiphany. Finally, after all those years!!Anyway, later that same day, after relating this cute anecdote to a (girl)friend on the phone, I was met with silence, and when enquiring if anything was wrong, was greeted with an abashed and astonished admission - and I quote - "But I always thought it was windshield-factor too." Oops

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gosh - I wonder who wrote this blog entry?
Hugs,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Jen
We think you have been "mysld" on this topic. Right Mike?
Mom & Dad Watts

Michael Langley said...

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

roflmao

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Anonymous said...

Windshield Factor... that's the fricken funniest thing I've heard all week. BTW-wait till you the windshield factor gets below 0.

Anonymous said...

Affiliate Marketing is a performance based sales technique used by companies to expand their reach into the internet at low costs. This commission based program allows affiliate marketers to place ads on their websites or other advertising efforts such as email distribution in exchange for payment of a small commission when a sale results.
www.onlineuniversalwork.com

Anonymous said...

Affiliate Marketing is a performance based sales technique used by companies to expand their reach into the internet at low costs. This commission based program allows affiliate marketers to place ads on their websites or other advertising efforts such as email distribution in exchange for payment of a small commission when a sale results.
www.onlineuniversalwork.com

Anonymous said...

I just looked this up, because I was corrected as well. I am going to go with it being a slang for small towners...

I laughed a good amount too. Thank you for writing this.

Autoglass Calgary said...

Thanks for sharing this article. Windshield Replacement Calgary