Thursday, October 11, 2007

New Apartment & Embarrassing moments

So I realize after talking with some of you after my last blog a lot of you think I still live in Staten Island and ride the ferry every day. That's not the case. We have a one bedroom apartment in Manhattan. The neighborhood is called Inwood. It's like the Upper Upper West side. It's the top tip of Manhattan Island. We're surrounded by parks. Out apartment is a 6 floor elevator building. It's a pre-war building with really nice details in the crown molding and floors. Really cool light fixtures too!

Inwood is VERY residential. It's a mix of people... a lot of Irish folks and Portuguese. Which means a few Spanish restaurants and Irish pubs. There are 2 really cool pubs by us. One is called the Piper's Kilt and the other Keenans. We have a few other restaurants, a grocery store, hardware store, a few pizza joints, a dry cleaners and like 4 Chinese food places.

Our apartment is on the corner of 204th and Cooper streets... for those of you wondering if I picked the place because it was on the corner of Cooper street, well it did have a little something to do with it.

My commute to work isn't bad. I take the A train which is an express train to Columbus Circle and then walk about 6 blocks to work. If it's raining then I transfer to the 1 train at Columbus Circle and get off right at the intersection of the ABC buildings. The A train ride lasts for about 30 minutes... the walk another 7-8 minutes... about 12 if you average in the time to stop for a Vanilla Latte. No Peets here though! =( That sucks but there are a few local coffee shops that are in the area that are better then Starbucks. I think I walk past about 6 Starbucks from 59th street to 66th.

I'm actually really enjoying the commute, I read the NY Times on the way to work... and my stop is the first stop so I always have a good seat.

Back to my neighborhood.... The parks. Seriously they are amazing! The forests are so old and have so much history. There are actually old Indian Caves in there. There's a boat house where you can rent canoes too. It's really cool. Every Saturday there is a farmers market about 2 blocks from our apartment with all locally grown products and yes a few knock off handbags.

The developed part of the park is really cool too. In addition to the typical little kid park stuff they've got about 10 tennis courts, Squash courts, Baseball Diamonds and (drum roll please) An off leash dog park!! Cooper loves it! The dog park is run by the neighborhood dog club. It's called the Inwoof dog club (get it- cause the neighborhood is Inwood!) Haha!

All the dog owners wear their Inwoof dog sweatshirts to the dog park. I need to get one- I feel kinda left out. Gotta keep up with the other doggie parents!

Anyhow- that's the hood.


Now let me leave you with the top 3 embarrassing moments I've had in my time here at ABC. Two of them are actually from today!

1) It's early in the day... I have live pictures coming in of Britney Spears' attorney arriving at court. I need to call editing to make sure they're rolling on it. I look to my cheat sheet of numbers and dial with out looking at the phone key pad... Someone answers, "Hello?" "Hi, It's Jen Newsone, I want to make sure you're rolling on router 126, I've got live pics from Britney."
the response... "Uh, This is David Westin, on my personal line- so I can't roll on 126."

For those of you who don't know David Westin is the President of ABC NEWS... the head haunch- Very Important Person.

Um, I kind of just stuttered at that point.. "Uh Uh I'm sorry??" I replied. He said "Uh good luck with 126" and hung up.

My face was bright red for about an hour. I had 2 people hours later that I didn't even know walk up to me and ask - Are you the one who called David Westin??

So embarrassing.

2) Not nearly as embarrassing- I emailed out a news story today about Her Home Depot. A bay area home depot that caters to women. Well, I had a little typo and the response I got back was are you trying to make an inappropriate Don Imus joke? Yep, I forgot the "m" in home. Opps!

3) First week at newsone, I tripped fell and face planted in front of my 3 bosses (none of which were David Westin)

So, in a nut shell-- same old Jen just in a bigger place and bigger city.. but still the same spaz!

This weekend I will take pics of the neighborhood and the apartment and that my friends is a tease to....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Only you could *accidentally* dial the head of ABC news! Personally, I think you just wanted to get a little more name recognition, being new and all. :)

Anonymous said...

OMG! Jen, you are hilarious. I laughed so hard reading this, my chapped lips cracked and started bleeding (ewwww!)
Seriously, David Westin?!? Just make sure you don't have his number in your cell phone when you send out an all-text about Bibby dying. ha!
The blogs you and Mike write are just as good as an episode of Sex in the City! Ok, that may be pushing it a little, but this is GOOD stuff.
Miss you! :(