Monday, October 8, 2007

Day 5: And Away We Go...

With us moving up to the NYC, many have asked us to keep them posted on the goings-on and such, so we figured setting up a blog would be the best way to keep people informed of whats happening in our lives. If you like it, give it a read. If you don't, ahhh to heck with you.

Jen's job seems to be getting more smooth with each passing day. I'll let her explain it better in a future post, but she gave me the tour of the newsroom last Friday, and its quite the setup. She's constantly busy, to the point where even I don't attempt to call her at work. She's getting the hang of dealing with all the affiliates and such, and I'm sure its only a matter of time before she's the president of ABC... =)

Cooper and I rolled into town last Wednesday night after a full day of travel. He's gotten used to traveling in his carry-on bag. We had no problems at the airport or on the plane, and he's had to go in it every time we take him on the subway or a bus or the Long Island RailRoad. Likes to pop his head out occasionally to see what's happening, but otherwise just lies in it curled up. What a good dog!

On the other hand, try carrying 30 pounds of dog through the NYC subway entrance sometime. Not good times....bad times...ahh, but I'm developing a system.

Our neighborhood is nice, with a couple of large parks two blocks away that Cooper has already enjoyed multiple times. Lots of room for him to run around and chase pigeons and squirrels. Its quite the melting pot here in the Inwood neighborhood...don't hear English very often. Lots of Portugeuse, lots of Dominicans. I've already made close friends at the local Irish pub (shocker there) and have tracked down a good late night pizza joint.

Our apartment is much more spacious than I thought it would be, but no central air conditioner, which is literally killing me right now because "we're having a heatwave...a tropical heatwave" right now. Its been 80 plus degrees since I got here with a S&^%load of humidity, which is as uncomfortable as it sounds. We have an air conditioner in the bedroom and a large fan in the living room and thats it. Other than that, no complaints about the place and the person we're sub-letting it from couldn't be nicer.

Most importantly, the cable guy comes Wednesday...hooray!

We took Cooper to get groomed on Saturday and spent the day exploring parts of the city. Its going to take at LEAST two years to see everything, but its fun to see the different neighborhoods. Had dinner with two of Jen's co-workers at a Mexican restaurant in the Upper West Side which was quite good, but still didn't feel like home. Not enough illegals working there, I suppose...now THATS when you know you've got good Mexican food.

Went to the Hamptons on Sunday to visit Jen's cousins Harvey and Glenda. They showed us around and drove us by the homes of the big names who live out there...the Seinfelds, and Spielbergs and Stewarts (as in Martha)...the village is nice, but I thought it would be more hoity-toity than it was....seemed a lot like Carmel (overpriced shops, etc).

I start my job at the NYC Metro Networks offices today...training three days this week, and then I'm on my own next week. I work out of the CBS building so I'll be able to swing by Katie Couric's desk and tell her exactly how much she stinks...looking forward to that.

Couple of other random moments:

Celebrity Sightings:

Brooks and Dunn outside the Regis and Kelly studio near where Jen works. Got Kix Brooks to sign my Not For Tourists Guide...oh the irony...

CCH Pounder at the Starbucks on 61st last Friday morning as I went to work with Jen. She's the black woman with the somewhat spiky hair from the Law and Order shows...she ordered a venti white mocha...I feel like you need to know these things...

First friend from back home to visit with us: Adam Housley, though he doesn't really count as back home since he lives in LA. Anyways, he was in town to do Fox's morning show over the weeekend so we met him for lunch Saturday in Times Square (which is still a friggin' zoo, and I've somewhat turned into a NY'er already because I was complaining about all the tourists...damn tourists...)

Fun fact about NY: people are loud. Like, really LOUD. And they don't care if you hear them. In the span of 24 hours, Jen and I rode the bus with a guy who, very loudly and very profanely had a phone argument with his significant other, or her relatives (it was hard to tell) complete with F-bombs and "I'm a man..you can't talk to me that way" shoutings....then the next night, we're coming back from the Hamptons on the train, and the couple sitting next to us I think broke up and got back together 3 times over a 2 hour stretch...it was like having your very own soap opera right next to you...unbelievable...I gotta work on this loud and shouting thing...HELLO!!! NO, I'M ON THE CELL PHONE!!! WHADDAYA MEAN YOU CAN'T GET RANGERS TICKETS TONIGHT?!?!?! YOU &$^%^%!!!!!


Thats about it for now. Jen will touch on all the other things I've left out. Please stay in contact via email at our addresses:

weisswatts@gmail.com
mikewatts1023@gmail.com
mike_watts@metronetworks.com

or feel free to post responses here on the blog. We'll try to get some pictures of stuff up as well. We miss all of you terribly.

Future blogs will touch on all the wierd and interesting stuff that happens to you when you're a New Yorker...which I am now, I guess...so far, this still feels like a 2-year working vacation...

Mike

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Great job toting Cooper around...you're father of the year alreay!

Anonymous said...

Maybe you need to get a bag with wheels for Cooper...
Glad you are starting to adjust, what a great adventure!
connie

suz said...

Dave, Zephyr, and I will have to plan a trip out there soon. Do you think they have tote bags for 50 lb dogs? Hum...

Love this blog. Thanks for keeping us posted. Now that you guys are name dropping, I'll have to really study my People mag so I know who you're talking about. Tee hee.

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous... you guys sound like you are living such a fun life, most of us 30-somethings with kids and lame jobs would love to be doing what you are now!!!

Christmas is going to be so much fun- Macys Turkey day parade- watch out for the falling baloons- they kill.

Jen- your new mission is to track down the shootings of Sex in the City and give me the dirty scoop... I have a great friend that lives in Jersey. When I get the the money and time (that is like saying when I win the lotto)I will surely be there to hang out.
My sister's beau has a "flat" on 5th Ave looking over Central Park- maybe I can plan a trip with her :) Its too bad you all have to work- hanging out in the city could be a full time job!!

PS- they make doggie strollers!
Brooke

Anonymous said...

Hilarious! I guess I'd fit in pretty well in NYC with my voice, minus the f-bombs!!!!! Glad you guys are doing well. Tell Jeter I say hi!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

This seems like the 1000th thing on your guys minds but trust me, don't let it slip. Make sure you do and see all the thing you want to do or see. When Erica and I left DC, we had not, and did not have time to finish. You don't want to leave New York (if you ever do) and not have seen the Metropolitan Opera, visited the Statue of Liberty or something else.
Make time so you each get to do the things you want to experience. You'll thank yourselves.
And make any time off you have together all about you. It was the best thing we did with our families and friends so far away.

Anonymous said...

Such great comments. You make us feel like we are right there with you! Congrats again.. and have fun!!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE reading your blogs! What a great idea! I really want to see your apartment... so post some pics. Good luck you guys... Troy and I miss you!

-Nicolette

Anonymous said...

Oh I love it. Finally a blog I can laugh at because I know it! You guys will do and have done great! Can't wait to see the new place!

Anonymous said...

Hi guys,
Those blogs are great. It's fun to see what a Californian does in the Big Apple and hear all of the wacky zaney things you go through. Is there any way to send an email to us every time you post a new blog? I don't see myself checking the website evry week or so, but I would love to read your "diary" every time you post. Let us all know when you come back to visit to we can all get together.
Congratulations again, and to Mike...Congrats on finding a job so fast. Enjoy every moment.
Steve and Taylor Alber

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys!
Loved reading your blogs and I look forward to more. I've never been that far North and East before so I can "visit" vicariously through you!

Vanessa said...

Sounds like an awesome adventure already. Now you just need to get tacky and take pics of your celebs!

Anonymous said...

Ok. we want MORE!!!!
Can't wait for the next installment!

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous of your adventures!Thanks for sharing your lives with us online. And Mike, thanks for including the celebrity sightings...you know everyone wants to hear that news, even if they don't readily admit it :)

Ewen