Saturday, October 27, 2007

Day 25: Chris Rock and Coke Refills

And we'll start this post off right out of the gate with the latest learning regarding New York City:

Random Fact about NYC and NY'ers: There are no free soda refills in New York City. We've now been to several restaurants and have been charged for EACH frickin' soda we end up getting...what the hell is up with that?? And of course, keeping with the theme that everything here costs an arm and a leg...sodas seem to be like 3 to 4 bucks at a restaurant...APIECE!! In this way, the terrorists have already won...

As we continue on here, things are going well...for one of us. That would be me. My job at Metro is going well in the fact that the stations I'm doing news for are telling my boss they're thrilled with the job I'm doing. It sounds like its going to get me more hours (which is always a good thing) and some extra shifts actually hosting/anchoring on our affiliates, so thats exciting. More importantly, I might soon get to fulfill a lifelong dream of doing news on Don Imus' new show...coming to WABC in December. My boss says there's a chance we'll start doing stuff for his show, which would be fantastic...Dad, I'll send you the tapes if this happens...

I had an interview at ABC News Radio, and it went well, but it turned out they only had a freelance position that would have been weekend overnights, so I turned them down today. Looks like I'll get all the work I need at Metro (barring any lawsuits from Ms. Couric)

In as much as my job is going well, Jen's job, unfortunately, is extraordinarily frustrating these days. She can tell you more in future posts, but that frustration was made all the more difficult this week what with Southern California burning to the ground. I actually got the "lets go back to Sacramento" call Tuesday...its gotten a little better since then, but lets just say don't bother trying to call Jen at work these days...even I'm not crazy enough to try it.

We didn't get much of a chance to explore this past week because I was working full shifts all week and Jen was in So-Cal Fire hell, but we're headed to Madison Square Garden tomorrow night for the Rangers-Maple Leafs game, and are planning to take Cooper to Central Park on Sunday.

Time to wrap it up:

Celebrities spotted: Chris Rock (who actually bumped into me while trying to avoid paparazzi near Jen's work). I was hanging out over by Regis and Kelly to see who might be coming out before my ABC interview, and out of the corner of my eye saw some photogs running in the street. I looked up and moved off the wall and was ran into by a guy who said "sorry, dude" and then bolted inside the building. Turns out it was Mr. Rock...hey, at least he said he was sorry....

Also saw Roger Bart walking down Broadway the other day (the pharmacist from Desperate Housewives). He's about to star in the new Broadway production of Young Frankenstein, which I'm TOTALLY going to go see at some point.

Friends who have visited: None, but our dance card is filling up for the fall. Jen's sister Bec and her boyfriend Gabe are coming for a weekend in November. Dave Knight and his sister Jamie are also coming in November for four days, and Jen's parents have scheduled a quick trip in early December for her birthday.

The rest of you??? Stop waiting around and get the f^$k out here!!

Thats all for now...more to come, including me getting potentially beat up by some beligerent Rangers fans at MSG...stay tuned...

Mike

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, so I'm becoming a bit of a blog stalker. Keep it coming...these are the stories your children will roll their eyes at when they are 15. I miss you both (and cooper) and do hope to come out and visit eventually. It sounds like this is the best adventure ever! I'm glad to hear NY hasn't changed you guys and Jen is still as clumsy as ever. =)

Anonymous said...

We've become "Blog Stalkers" too!
Great writing - great detail -
feel as if we're there with you!
Keep these postings coming!