Saturday, October 13, 2007

Day 10: Still no Cable TV

Its been a week and a half...still no cable TV....losing will to live....might not be able to go on...still talking in sentence fragments...

So here's the deal...cable guy came last Wednesday and was about to hook us all up, until we realized he needed to get on the roof to wire the cable down to our first floor apartment, and the superintendent wasn't home to let him on the roof...so I had to reschedule for next Tuesday.

I know, I know...I live in NY now...there's too much to do...I shouldn't need TV....to which I say to all of you, "^%W@ that!" I need to know what is going on in the world! I need to be informed! I need to watch the Packers games!

Since we've had no TV, I've had to go to the Irish bar (Piper's Kilt) nearby on a near daily basis to watch the baseball playoffs/hockey games, which means if we don't get TV, I'm going to develop a serious drinking problem...at least more of one than I already have...

In other news, Jen and I took in our first movie in Manhattan last night. Cost of the movie ticket? Eleven bucks! Holy crap! For 11 dollars I'd better get to sit in one of those massage chairs while I watch the movie. Why the hell is everything so damn expensive in this town?? Anyways, go see Michael Clayton...it was a good movie...not 11 dollars worth of good, but what movie would be (I mean besides Caddyshack)... =)

My job at Metro has started...our offices are in the CBS building on 57th Street which means I had to get the same kind of custom photo ID that Jen has for ABC....and of course, my picture looks like I'm a terrorist...not as bad as my passport photo, but I'm still waiting for the guards at the front door to draw their guns on me at some point...HEY DUDE, I'M JUST TRYING TO DO SOME NEWSCASTS!!!

Did a week of training and my first solo shift is tomorrow night on the overnight shift 10pm to 4am (love those hours...not). Fortunately, thats the only shift like that I have. Then I'll be doing 6am to 12pm Thursday and Friday. Part-time hours, but I've been told by my boss that he'll have plenty of extra hours for me on a weekly basis.

Time to wrap it up
Celebrities seen: Since I didn't get a chance to loiter outside Regis and Kelly this week, all I've got is Charles Osgood of the "Osgood Files" (radio bit kinda like Paul Harvey). He tapes across the hall from me. Nice guy...love the bow tie. Still haven't met Katie Couric yet. My boss tells me that she heads down to the commissary for lunch every now and then but doesn't talk to anyone and isn't very nice. Well, we'll soon fix that. The moment I see her there, I'm going to walk right up, sit my tray down, and say "HEY, WHAT'S UP?!?! I'M MIKE FROM SACRAMENTO! MIND IF I SIT HERE?!" and get right up in her grill....just for the uncomfortable reaction shot alone...maybe I can drive her crazy and she'll have to resign from her news shift....stay tuned.

Friends who have visited: none...where the hell are all you people?

Random fact about NY'ers: they walk fast..like REALLY fast...and they don't take kindly to people wandering aimlessly, which I have a tendency to do. Not because I'm staring up at everything like a tourist, just that with bad knees I don't walk very fast to begin with.

So I'm walking to the subway after my shift at CBS yesterday and I'm kinda ambling down the road, when I get whacked in the leg with a walking cane...I turn around and its some old lady, who gives me a glare and says, in a total NY accent, 'WHADDYA DAWDLING FOR?!?!?!" and then proceeds to motor past me while giving me the evil eye and a big sigh....gotta love NY'ers...even the old farts have attitude...

Jen is telling me to wrap it up, as its time to go to the farmer's market....hope everyone is well, and remember to stay in touch....and look for me on the news after i'm thrown out of the CBS building for accosting Ms. Couric...

Mike

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You need to buy your own walking cane so you can start fighting back!

Anonymous said...

It's so sad to hear Katie isn't a friendly person. I was hoping the rumors weren't true.

Have you seen Jeter yet?????

Unknown said...

By the way, if I have to keep hearing Dane Cook reminding me that "There's only one October!!!" I might just figure out a way to give you MY cable!

Anonymous said...

Loved "White Girl in Harlem"
Who can we get to play Jen in the
movie?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, you will need to get to steppin' with walking here in NYC. I learned that early on. Gotta keep up!