Thursday, September 25, 2008

Mom & Dad Weiss' NYC Visit



We had a wonderful time with my parents! We had a great visit. I took the picture of them above in Brooklyn standing under the bridge. The Brooklyn Bridge, the east river, and the Manhattan skyline is behind them. That area is known as DUMBO. Down Under the Manhattan Brooklyn Bridge Over Crossing. There's your lesson for the day. :)

I took them over to my work.. here they are on the News set. My desk is just to the left of the the set behind the glass.



We took them to Dinosaur BBQ in Harlem. Here we are standing outside...

They toured the city on a double-decker bus for 2 days. Now they know more about the city then we do!!!




On Saturday morning they took Mike and I on the Brooklyn tour with them. Afterwards we had Grimaldi's Pizza.






Another thing they did while they were being New York Tourists... They went to Ellis Island. Ellis Island is where Immigrants arrived before being granted entrance into the United States. My Grandfather , My Dad's dad immigrated this way. Ellis Island is now a museum where you can look up old manifests and discover all the details of how your relatives came to this country.

My parents were able to find my Grandfather Sam Weiss. He came over a ship called the Roon in 1909. He was only 13 years old , but he told them he was 15. You had to be 15 in order to come by yourself. We learned his height, weight, eye color, ethnicity and even how much money he had on him. He also had to give them his Occupation. He was a barrel maker also known as a Cooper. That's right, in the ships manifest it lists his occupation as a Cooper.

In 1950, Sam Weiss along with his wife and 2 kids (my Dad and my Uncle Art) all moved out west to California and then Arizona.

My Grandfather died before I was born.

Who could of have imagined, almost 100 years later, his granddaughter would move back to New York City with a dog named Cooper and live on Cooper street.

It kind of gives you chills, huh?

Ironically, Mike's sister named Cooper. I guess it was fate that I met and married Mike.

xoxo

Jen

1 comment:

Katie said...

bring back the blog