Thursday, September 11, 2008

Long Time No Blog --A Jen Post

Hi Guys!

It's been awhile since I've blogged.. many apologies!

I had an amazing experience at the DNC in Denver. I really felt like I was a part of history.









While I was in Denver, Mike got in touch w/ my boss and got me the Monday after our anniversary off and planned a surprise trip. All I knew was we were renting a car, Cooper got to come, and we were leaving Saturday morning.

Or actual anniversary was on Thursday. 3 years! Can you believe it? What's even crazier is it's almost been a year that we've lived in NY!

Anyhow, Thursday was our actual anniversary. We both had to work and we had dinner that night at the Boathouse in Central Park. It was beautiful and great food!

That Saturday we left for our trip. We were off to Lake Placid in upstate New York. It was about a 4 hour drive from the city. We drove upstate through the Catskills and ended up in the Adirondacks. (Both are Mountain ranges for those of you west coasters that only know Tahoe)

Lake Placid is best known for hosting the Winter Olympics in 1932 and 1980. I would describe it like Lake Tahoe, but with the charm you find on the streets of Carmel.




We shopped and wandered around main street and toured the Olympic Venue Sites...Here are Mike and Cooper in front of the Olympic Center... this building houses the 1932 and 1980 hockey arenas.... Home of the "Miracle on Ice."


One of the highlights of the trip.. we did the "Bobsled Experience" down the 1980 track. You have a professional driver and break man ride with you, the bobsleds are on wheels in the Summer and Blades in the winter. Think 'Cool Running's.'



These are the Olympic ski jumps.. don't you wonder how this sport came about? Do you think some guys were in a pub one night and said "hey- wouldn't it be cool to build 24 story tall ramp and have skiers do jumps and flips off them?"



We drove up Whiteface Mountain and had a picnic half way up.



At the top of the Mountain there is a castle that you can hike up to the very top. Guess who didn't think he'd need a jacket!?! It was freezing!


This is Cooper the bobsledding dog...





Things I learned on the trip?

Did you know fly fishing doesn't mean that fish fly out of the lake at you? I always thought it meant that fish jumped out of the water and you had to stand on the back of the boat with a net to catch them. Anyhow.. I saw all these fly fishing signs in town and was nervous if we went near the lake fish may attack us. Then Mike told me fly fishing is when people wade into the water to catch fish that way... My vision is way cooler.

Beware of Flying Fish!

xoxo

Jen

2 comments:

The Tomaszewski's said...

J you crack me up with the fly fishing!! What a fun anniversary weekend! I cant believe it has been 3 years already! I cant believe it has almost been 1 year since we helped you guys pack for NYC...this means you are closer to coming back...right?!!! Have a great weekend. I miss you!!!!!!

Katie said...

is your fly fishing analogy similar to winshield factors?