Sunday, January 20, 2008

Uggly Cold, Cupcakes, and News10 Friends.

The High today is 24 degrees. The low is 14. And with the wind chill (or windshield for some) its actually 4 degrees. FOUR! That sucks. It's cold. Very cold. AND there is not even snow to make it pretty. It's cold, everything is brown and the sky is grey..... California dreaming. That song now means something to me.

It was so cold today that I wore 2 hats, a thermal shirt with a wool turtleneck sweater over it and my ankle length down jacket, a scarf and mittens.





It was even cold on the subway.. I only took off one of my hats for the ride




It was SOOOO cold that even Mike wore a hat, a scarf and a jacket - he forgot his gloves though and he was cold. Yes, even Mr. I have Canadian blood- was cold.



Anyhow,I have been wanting to get Uggs for awhile now. I kept going back and forth between a few different styles and colors so I had put the purchase off. Well, yesterday I realized that I don't care what color, what style, or anything like that-I just want my calves to be warm. I had been wearing knee high socks with wool leg warmers over the socks beneath my jeans. And I was still cold. I used to think that Uggs were only meant for college kids to be trendy and sport with mini skirts in So Cal when the temperatures dropped in to the chilly '60's.

Screw you all- it's 20 degrees and I'm frickin cold and I NEED Uggs.

For our male readers- Uggs are super warm sheep skin boots. Shown to your left here.

So Yesterday afternoon after our visitors left (which I will blog about after my cold rant) Mike and I went to midtown to go get my Uggs. Store after store- Sorry, we're sold out. Sorry we only have a size 5 or 12 left. 12- who they heck where's a 12 women's? Maybe that's why that was left. We're then at Lord & Taylor (It's like a Nordstorm only on the East Coast)- They have a size 10 (too big) and a size 8 (too small) - Damn it! So close. Still cold.

We go home and I start calling every department store that I know of. Sold Out! Then I start trying to buy on line everyone is sold out in my size or else they only have them in the short boot which just keeps your ankles warm.
I need full warmth over my whole leg. Frankly if they could go to my knee that would be ideal- I'm cold. My delicate California skin can't handle it- and it's supposed to get progressively colder throughout the week.



It's cold and I have no Uggs.

I do google searches and craigslist entries come in- people are trying to sell of their uggs for $100 over the asking price. They advertise - sold out all over the city.


I find out that Ugg has a flag ship store in Soho. I call them about 20 times to see if they have what I NEED in stock. No answer. Just voicemail with their hours and location. SO- guess how Mike and I spent our Sunday? Trekking down to Soho. Which was super cute by the way. Just to give you an idea of how posh Soho is- a studio flat goes for about $600,000 there- and yes I did say STUDIO, not even a one bedroom.



We get there. The Ugg flagship store. It was like the sun broke through the dark sky and shined a bright spotlight on it. I think even church music played- and I wasn't even listening to my Ipod and I'm a Jew- we don't hallelujah.



Then I see 5 signs on the window front- Sorry we're sold out of Ugg Boots in short, tall, super tall in all sizes. I see the sign... I read the sign... but I don't believe the sign.

We go inside and all the employees appear to be pissed off and grumpy. I ask Do you have anything in a 9- He points to the knit boot- yep knit. Not sheepskin... not warm. Then they say in a broken record tone of voice- "We're sold out of all sizes. We get shipments Tuesday and Wednesday. There is no waiting list. We will not call you. Just come by and check." They wouldn't even tell us when their shipments arrive. I now understand why they seemed pissed off. They have cold agitated people like me that they have had to turn away all day.

So, I step outside and call my mom in So Cal. Tell her I have an emergency- I'm cold! I ask her to check the stores in so cal. After all, people there can't be nearly as cold as me. My mom calls Bloomies first- sold out- all sizes. She then calls Nordies. All they have left is a size 9, classic tall in chestnut brown (same as pictured above, but a darker shade). She overnighted them. I'm going to be warm. Yay for super mom. I'm going to be happy and warm come Tuesday. Is it Tuesday yet???



Anyhow, after the whole uggly ordeal (hehehe- get it? Ugly- uggs- hah!) Mike and I walked to Magnolia Bakery over in the Village. Magnolia is like this legendary bake shop- known for their cupcakes. They've been profiled in nearly every magazine and every TV show that is based in NY. We hadn't yet tried them, but had been wanting to since we moved here. Afterall, what else can cheer you up when it's cold outside and you ugg-less. So we headed to Bleecker Street for cupcakes and coco. We get there and there is a line out the building and around the corner. All of these cold New Yorkers were looking for cupcake comfort too. We get in line and stare through the glass watching them frost cupcakes and make amazing mixtures. At one point we saw a lady making banana pudding- she was using an industrial sized Kitchen Aid Mixer (I miss mine so much- I wish it was here with me and not in storage- boo!) mixing 'Nilla wafers and fresh cut bananas into vanilla pudding- Seriously! Doesn't that sound dreamy?



Anyhow, after waiting in line for about 30 minutes we are granted entry. I felt like I was in college waiting in line to get into Rileys on buck night. We go and walk to the left and wait in another line. Cupcakes are self serve. We get our cupcakes and then go get in another line, order our hot chocolates and pay. 2 hot chocolates, 8 cupcakes- Total- $23... Brightness to your day when it's cold- priceless. But we used a Visa check card, not a mastercard to pay.



This is not the cold talking- I swear, but this hot chocolate was the best hot chocolate that I have had in my entire life. It was milk steamed with a espresso steamer and chocolate chunks melted in. It was amazing. So fabulous. We had the first of our cupcakes once we got home after dinner. Amazingly good. So, good I felt warm and fuzzy. Just what you need when it's 4 degrees outside.



Anyhow, early in this blog I had mentioned visitors. Well, on Wednesday night we had dinner with Michelle Hofland who happened to be in town. I used to babysit for Michelle when I was 16 and she used to report for Fox 40- may first TV job was there. She now lives in St. Louis and works for NBC.



And on Friday Night Jodie Mitchell Moreno was in town with her hubby Juan. They stayed with us. We went out to dinner with the other east coast News 10ers- Chris Spitzer and his girlfriend Shirley and Janelle who used to date one of our old coworkers at News 10 and now lives just a few blocks away from us. Yay for Sactown friends. Dinner was fun. I'll put up a group picture as soon as Shirley sends me one- she was they one smart enough to bring her camera! :)



After dinner- we had cupcakes at the Butter cup bakeshop- Good- but not as good as Magnolia. Chris and Shirley headed back to Staten Island and the rest of us headed up to our neighborhood. Jodie and Juan needed to bring their luggage up and Cooper needed a pottie break.

After everyone took care of their business we went to our local bar the Pipers Kilt. This is where we play trivia. The bartenders are our friends now and the drinks are very well priced. We shut the place down after singing all the cheesiest juke box songs -including Aqua and Lisa Loeb- at the the top of our lungs. We left at 3am and went across the street to McDonalds- where I in my finest asked the 18 year old behind the counter to put extra salt on the frizzles.

Anyhow, it was a fun visit. I'm glad the were able to stay with us and it was great to reconnect with Janelle who lives so close to us.

Miss everyone- when your enjoying the nice whether you may be experiencing in whichever city you live in -remember me - a cold ugg-less girl trying to get extra salt on some frizzles.


With love,

A Jen Post- I'm sure that was hard to guess- right?

Miss you all.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Please turn this into a book, it is hilarious! I'm glad you are getting your Uggs. You better post a picture when you finally get them! Love,
Kelli W.

Anonymous said...

I need some size 5 Uggs! I'm cold too! And I wasn't the photographer that night - I think it was Janelle who took the pictures.

Anonymous said...

when it gets real cold and snowy, it's time for some old-school Kamiks!

Ugly Kamik Boots

Yes, they are hideous, but they are warm, and waterproof enough for you to fall through the ice on the river...

The Tomaszewski's said...

did you get your Uggs??? We want pics!!

Mike, Jen and Cooper too! said...

Yep, Jen's cold again...shocker there! Though she's right...I was cold too..